Followers

Thursday, November 12, 2009

A pulse, a voice, and some fireflies

My little drummer girl is trying out for the band today. From what I gather from the bits and pieces I've gotten from her, one of the percussionists is gone .. now, knowing 6th graders as I do, the chances are pretty even that they could have quit, or just gotten lost in the halls of the school and cannot find their way back to the band area. Anyway, the spot is open .. and they are now letting the 6th graders try out to fill it, even though 6th graders don't normally get to do that. So, she's all excited .. and so am I.

This will be her




I'm betting she'll play just like that too .. LOL

I had a wonderful band career in high school, it was the thing I looked forward to every day. I hope that my little Animal will stick with it throughout her high school years. She wanted to switch to trumpet (I think 'cause that's mom's instrument), but I talked her into sticking with drums (pun totally not intended lol), and told her I'll teach her trumpet once the braces come off. She couldn't have a better combination of instruments ;) The drums are the pulse of any band, the trumpets are the voice. 

Any trumpet players out there? Hi. I'm better than you. (that is the traditional trumpet player's greeting)

teehee ..

So, anyway, I'm off to pick up the Pookster and run some errands ... and I just burned the soundtrack for my day so I'll have music.  I just discovered Owl City .. and I'm totally in love with their music .. well not JUST discovered, I've loved "Fireflies" since the first time I heard it.  I have no clue why .. but it just makes me happy :) 

5 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

I had a brief foray with the clarinet in school until I realized I just can't read music, so I gave up. I gave up the piano when I took a class in college, too. Come to find out, when you can't read music, you don't just wake up one day and know how so you can dive right into the piano!

I hated "Fireflies" when I first heard it, but it definitely grew on me. Now I'm kind of obsessed with it! I'm not so sure about the rest of the cd, though.

That Janie Girl said...

Girl drummers ROCK!

BellaDaddy said...

Wish the best, absolutely! I played clarinet for one year, in elementary school...the following year? they asked me not to join. true story LOL...oh well.

Kudos!

Captain Dumbass said...

I played trumpet and I'm sure you were better than me. I was in band for four years but never learned any keys, I just copied the guy beside me.

Oh, and I had braces. What's wrong with braces and the trumpet?

Paige Lacey said...

Boy played the trumpet! For about six months... Before that, it was the tenor sax and before that it was the piano. Now he plays bass in a sometimes band in college. I'm just happy he knows how to read music. Once he could do that, I thought to myself, "Well, my job is done here. The rest is up to him."